At Native Seeds/SEARCH, we depend heavily on our volunteers to help grow, conserve, and distribute the seed which is at the heart of our organization. The work we do offers volunteers the opportunity to help in a variety of ways – at our store, the Conservation Center (seed bank), on our farm in Patagonia, at special events, and more. There are opportunities for both groups and for individuals, short term and longer term.
To volunteer, follow these steps:
Recurring, Short-Term or One-Time Volunteer
- Fill out the Volunteer Application online, or pick up a paper application at our store and either mail or deliver the application in person to our Conservation Center at 3584 E. River Rd., Tucson AZ 85718.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you shortly afterwards to discuss what opportunities are available, what your needs and wants as a volunteer are, and to schedule an Orientation. Volunteer hours are generally Tuesdays through Thursdays between 10am and 4pm, although there are occasional exceptions – i.e. Farm volunteers often start their days as early as 7am, or special events may take place during evening or weekend hours.
- Set up a date to begin (We ask for a minimum of 1-2 hours at a time. Recurring volunteers are asked for a minimum of 8 hours a month). Then go to work!
- Contact the Volunteer Coordinator by calling (520) 622-0830, ext. 104 or email email@example.com.
- We will work with you to identify upcoming opportunities for groups to work.
Native Seeds/SEARCH always needs volunteers. Specific opportunities tend to vary seasonally, increasing or decreasing our need for volunteers at different times of the year. Many people volunteer on a regular basis, devoting a morning or afternoon once a week. Some volunteers work only once or twice or on a short term basis. Groups are also welcome. We generally ask that individuals work a minimum of one to two hours between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm Tuesday - Thursday. Locations may include the Store, the Conservation Center, or the Conservation Farm in Patagonia.
The most common work activities include:
- Pack seed packets for sale
- Help in the store with customer service and stocking shelves
- Filling mail orders
- Work on our farm (planting, weeding, pollinating, harvesting)
- Help staff special events such as San Juan’s Day or Plant Sales
- Process and clean harvested seed
- Office work
- Maintenance work
- Or a variety of odd jobs which come up occasionally. Flexibility in our volunteers is extremely valued!
We also occasionally have need of professional services to assist Native Seeds/SEARCH. To volunteer professional services, contact the Volunteer Coordinator, by calling (520) 622-0830, ext. 104, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Email email@example.com.